For a long while I had the above image (‘The Smile of God’) as the wallpaper on my computer. Recently, I’ve been inviting you to reflect your images of God.
When Moses encountered God, he asked God’s name. God replied, “Say this … ‘I AM has sent me to you’.” (Exodus 3:14)
T. S. Gregory wrote: I AM
- is the unqualified fullness of being
- is the supreme indication of presence
- is the one statement that cannot be uttered without being completely true
- is the one completely and immediately personal statement
- is pre-supposed in every intelligible utterance
- is true equally of God and man
- is true in every time and place
- is the name of God.
Today’s prayer from the Methodist Church Handbook:
God, beyond all our naming, the glory of creation reaches out to you. God, beyond all our reasoning, the voice of the universe sounds your praise. God, beyond all our knowing, all that lives finds its destiny in your presence. Amen. (Gregory of Nazianzus)